There’s always a bit of a culture barrier when attempting to practice respect in other countries. However, one would hope that revrence for those murdered would be a universal truth, and wannert some respect, no matter what.
That is apparently not the case though with Saudi Arabia’s Men’s soccer team. The match against Australia was started with a moment of silence for the two Australian women who were killed in the recent England terror attacks. However, not everyone felt the need to be silent or show respect.
Via Hot Air:
The match was held in Australia and the announcement of a minute of silence was made in English. Simple misunderstanding due to a language barrier? Nope:
A spokesperson from the Football Federation Australia told Daily Mail Australia they had been advised prior to the match that the Saudi team would not be taking part.
‘The FFA sought agreement from the Asian Football Confederation and the Saudi national team to hold a minute’s silence in memory of those lost in Saturday night’s terror bombings in London and in particular the two Australian women,’ the spokesperson said.
‘The FFA was further advised by Saudi team officials that this tradition was not in keeping with Saudi culture and they would move to their side of the field and respect our custom whilst taking their own positions on the field.
The Guardian collected several tweets from sporting events in the Arab world over the past few years showing teams or fans observing a moment of silence. Two involved silence for the late King of Saudi Arabia; another involved a Saudi professional soccer team before a club match.
Not their culture? It should be a part of everyone’s culture to shut up and show a little solidarity when someone is grief stricken. And obviously that was blow out of the water since they’ll be silent for a Saudi King, but not an Australian woman. They weren’t silent because those they felt something for who died in the attacks weren’t bein commemorated; namely, the perpetrators.